Veggie (Evolution) Burger
Sunflower seeds and almonds keep this veggie burger crunchy, the right amount of beans keeps it chewy, Veggie Crisps add delicious flavor, and a crisp outer shell brings it all together.
- 1 tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oat flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1.5 cups bread crumbs (about 3 slices of bread)
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup cooked black beans (rinsed and roughly pureed or mashed)
- 1/4 cup parsley or other fresh herb (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup leafy green of your choice (kale)
- 1/4 cup Veggie Evolution Crisps (your choice)
- 1/3 cup almonds (chopped)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon tamari (soy sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water (to create desired consistency before forming)
|Step 1||In large skillet, saute onions in butter. Add garlic and dry spices once onions turn translucent. Remove from heat.|
|Step 2||Place all ingredients (except salt, pepper and water) into large mixing bowl and stir very well. Once combined, add salt and pepper to taste. Slowly add water and mix well until you reach your desired consistency for forming burgers.|
|Step 3||With slightly wet hands, shape dough into patties (Pack dough tightly--I pack into an appropriately sized cookie cutter.) I made 10-12 medium patties.|
|Step 4||Cooking methods: |
You can fry burgers in a bit of butter on a skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.
If baking in the oven, bake for 25-30 minutes (about 15 minutes on each side) at 350F, until golden and crisp.
For the BBQ, pre-bake the burgers for about 15 minutes in the oven before placing on pre-heated grill until golden and crisp. My favorite method is frying them on the skillet!